Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Tantrums, Tears and Tummy Tickles | grand rapids children photographer/mom to a toddler



Anyone else have a three year old that challenges them every day? My son thinks I can make miracles happen. Especially when he's in the middle of a full blown tantrum, laying on the floor crying "FIX MY FLASHLIGHT". I tell him I can't because it needs new batteries and we don't have any right now. He then says, "MAKE SOME". Make batteries?! I wish. This is when some miracle working skills would come in handy. Voila, batteries at your command. But no lesson would be learned, like maybe some patience. I decide he's not going to get over it and cuddle him until he stops crying. After the sweat and tears are wiped away, I tickle his tummy and he rolls around laughing hysterically. In two hours, we'll do this all over again;)

I'm writing this because we visited Caydens' pediatrician yesterday for his three year check-up and let's just say I was sweating through my coat by the end. I went into it thinking, this should be easy, no shots, no problem. I was wrong. Very wrong. First, he wouldn't stand on the scale to be measured and weighed. He clung on like a baby monkey with arms and legs wrapped around me as if the floor was on fire. The nurse tried coaxing him into it by giving him a toy monster truck if he stood on the scale. Now, he LOVES monster trucks, so you would think this would get him to cooperate. Nope. He clung tighter (this is about when I started sweating). After a few minutes of waving the monster truck in his face and talking in a high pitched voice, I decided the nurse wasn't going to get through to him. We ended up having to pin him down to a table and measured him with a measuring tape. The nurse reassured me that most three year olds act like this when they come in. I hope she wasn't lying. She left the room hating her job. Next it was the Doctors turn! Cayden wouldn't look at him or do anything he asked. The Doctor pulled out all the tricks......Is that a truck I feel in your tummy, let's check your eyes and see how much you sparkle, look at this cool flashlight. Nothing. Worked. In fact, when the Doc. tried checking his eyes, he held them closed at tight as he could, which I'm sure is difficult to do! We decided not to give him the nasal mist for the flu since his head probably would have rotated completely around as he spewed out green goo. The Doctor left, Cayden climbed down from my lap, grabbed the monster truck and said, "OK, let's go". No tummy tickles needed this time. Just like that. Alright, I'm fine, let's blow this popsicle stand. He could have won an Oscar for his performance.

As much as Cayden frustrates me, I love him ten times more. Sure, he has his I'm going to irritate you until you want to scream days. But he's also communicating better this year and says "I love you, mamma" every time I kiss him goodnight. My heart melts every time. He still holds my pinky finger when we're in the school parking lot. I take a mental note whenever this happens because I never want to forget that feeling. The good outweighs the bad. So, what does this have to do with photography?  Over the past few years of working with toddlers, I've learned that sometimes they just don't want to sit in the chair while wearing a hat and itchy sweater. And that's perfectly fine. Everyone is different. That's okay. When they don't give into it, I'm good at deciding when they've had enough and it's time to take a different approach. Let them cool off and play. Let them laugh and be silly. These are usually the best shots! So, to my sweet Cayden, I will love you no matter how big the tantrum. I know a good tummy tickle will bring out your beautiful smile:)


Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment